The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is looking for a new Board Member
Previous top senior management position within the pharmaceutical generic industry (exposure to business development, manufacturing process and to all relevant associated aspects, a strong asset)
(part-time and unpaid position)
1. Purpose and function of the Medicines Patent Pool Foundation Governance Board
The Medicines Patent Pool (“the Foundation”) Governance Board (“Governance Board”) is the supreme governing body of the Foundation. It adopts the by-laws and other internal guidelines and procedures necessary for the administration and management of the Foundation.
In particular, the Governance Board:
- appoints Governance Board members (as explained below);
- enters into, executes and/or authorises the execution of agreements (including licences) as required to carry out the purposes of the Foundation;
- sets policies and strategies for the Foundation and adopts and amends its By-laws, subject to prior approval by the Swiss authorities, and other internal guidelines and procedures necessary for the administration and management of the Foundation;
- sets operational guidelines, work plans as well as financial and business planning;
- determines the employment terms, appoints and, if necessary, replaces the Executive Director;
- establishes a framework for monitoring and periodic independent evaluation of performance and financial accountability of activities of the Foundation;
- advocates for the Foundation and mobilises resources;
- approves the annual accounts;
- appoints the External Auditors;
- appoints outside legal counsel;
Governance Board meetings are convened at least twice a year.
The Board member who will be selected under the present process would also work with the Foundation staff to ensure meaningful interaction with generic manufacturers having signed a sublicence with MPP.
Board memberships are for a term of two years and a maximum of three consecutive terms (six years in total). Board Members shall act on an unpaid basis and be entitled only to the compensation of their effective costs and travelling expenses.
2. Required profile
To ensure a balance of expertise, MPP is now looking for a high-level individual who exercised at top senior management level within the pharmaceutical generic industry. A business development career and an exposure to the manufacturing process and all relevant associated aspects will be a strong additional asset.
Please note that each Governance Board member serves in his or her personal capacity in accordance with the Foundation’s Statutes.
Applications from women and individuals from low- and middle-income countries are warmly welcome.
3. Selection of members and eligibility
The Board members are experts in their field and are chosen for (a) their commitment to the public interest; (b) their technical competence; and (c) their support of the purpose of the Foundation as defined in Article 3 of the Foundation’s Statutes.
The new Board Members are appointed by the Governance Board from a candidates list proposed by the Board Nomination and Remuneration Committee.
4. Confidentiality, conflict of interest and other matters
General policies of the Medicines Patent Pool regarding conflict of interest, confidentiality, transparency and reimbursement of costs are applicable to the Governance Board and its members.
After each Board meeting, a summary of the decisions is made public by the chair. Documents related to final licensing decisions will be made public following each decision.
5. Application process
If you want to suggest an individual or recognise yourself in this profile and wish to play an active and critical role in the development of the Medicines Patent Pool, please send a CV and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience, expertise and interest in joining the Board to email@example.com with the subject “Governance Board candidate nomination”.
6. Further details
Further details on the roles and responsibilities of the Governance Board and its procedures are available in the Statutes of the Medicines Patent Pool and in the by-laws available on MPP website > Governance Board